In 1903 to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the National Refuge for Destitute and Homeless Children, the society, then known as Shaftesbury Society, proposed a development to provide training and education for girls aged between 5 and 11 years, who were orphans or from families of low income.
Find out more about life at the school as it took in up to 60 pupils at a time.
The school was opening in September 1910 and many of the towns children were educated there. It was requisitioned in 1914 for use as an auxiliary hospital treating the wounded returning from the front line.
Find out more about the school and the disruption the war had on the lives of its then pupils.